• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Sentence for 3rd Drug Offense? Plea Deal Possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maxsmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My boyfriend has a Preliminary hearing at the end of the month, and I'm not sure what to expect as far as whether a plea deal is possible, or what the possible sentence would be.

This is his 3rd drug offense over the course of 11 years (selling), and in this case he is accused of having 6 OxyContin pills.

What kind of sentence should we expect and does it seem likely that he would be able to get a plea deal if he plead guilty?

Thanks for any help you can give!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

While a deal is always possible, why would the DA be inclined to do so? What does your BF have to offer?

Without knowing the exact current and prior convictions it's hard to run the matrix (but his lawyer can), but just making some random guesses (F2's, etc...) I would suspect he's looking at 24-30 months.

I saw a guy get 3 years yesterday on 3rd or 4th VOP for a similar quantity, and that is in CA. Is your BF on probation / parole in the other cases? Hes facing potentially a tough time. He is obviously intent on doing life in prison on installments.

maxsmom

FlyingRon - I'm not sure if he has anything to offer the DA, but I didn't know if they did plea deals just to avoid a trial, assuming my boyfriend pleads guilty to a lesser charge.

The 2 prior convictions were for cocaine possession and I guess intent to sell (I wasn't with him during the prior cases). This new case is for possession of 6 OxyContin pills.

StevenJ_420Law - I believe he was still on probation at the time of the new case, but he was supposed to have maxed out.

Are the sentences for this harsher in CA or PA? Everything I've read so far says that PA has tough sentences for drug cases.

FlyingRon

My guesses were about right then (for just the criminal charges) for PENNSYLVANIA. There's a sentencing matrix that takes the priors and the current charge severity. 24-30 months I'd guess. If he was on probation, they may well revoke that and sentence him to jail time on the original charges in addition to the time for the new charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">