• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Closing out Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xmasbaby78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My mother passed 1/10/10. I filed for a petition to become the Executor of her estate 2/19/10. The four month period for all claims will end 6/19/10.

My questions are:

**She had a car that was returned back to the bank. It was valued at $17,000. It was sold at an auction for $12,500 leaving a $4,500 balance. A claim was submitted to probate for the full amount prior to the car being sold. Does the bank have to submit another claim to the probate for the balance is is the orginial claim still valid?

**The hospital where she passed never filed a claim with her insurance company for her final bill. Instead the filed a claim through probate. I have called the hospital several times giving them her insurance information. At one point I was told that the claim had been proccessed and was pending. After consulting with the insurance company I found out the hospital never filed a claim and that there was nothing pending. As of today, the hospital has finally decided to file the claim. Do I have to wait for this to be settle before the estate can be closed? I have verification of benefits from her job and insurance company. What can be done in this case??

This process has been very overwhelming. I have not had a chance to greive for my mother. I want very badly to expedite this as quickly as possible. My mother's estate is less than $50,000 other than the car and hospital claim very few creditors have submitted claims. $8,000 to be paid. She was $15,000 in credit card debt.

**Is it ok for me to agree to pay what is requested so everything can be finalized?

I have a bad feeling my lawyer will try to get me to haggle with the creditors, which I don't want to do!!!!

As I stated before, I am tired and I am ready for this to end. My lawyer stated that just because the claim period will have ended it could still take MONTHS for the estate to close.....

**Do I have any say in how long the estate should remain open after 6/19/10?

Help advice, thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appericated!!!!

Sincerely,
Headed further south once this is resloved!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">