• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outside Interestes Certification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsood

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I am joining a financial firm. Among the many papers that I have to sign one of them requires me to get approval for any outside Business Activity. They also mention that any of my household member also needs to get approval. Does this mean that my wife would need approval for her job from my employer. Does this mean that i cannot mow my neighbor's lawn over the weekend and get paid for it. I am in the IT. So does it mean that I cannot write a software program for my friend or develop an app without approval of my employer...This does not make any sense to me as to why i need to get their approval. the way they have it worded it would seem like I cannot even hold a yard sale. Outside Business Activity is defined by them as any activity where an employee is engaged in a non 'the firm' business including, but not limited to
  • being employed by another person or entity
  • receiving compensation from another person or entity for business activities including a family business
  • receiving fees for external work product
  • holding a position at the request of, or as part of your role with, 'the firm' or
any advice as to what it really means will be welcome.
thanks in advance.

pattytx

What it means is that you sign it or you don't get the job. This is not uncommon and may even be required by law, depending on the type of job.

If you want clarification on what "interests" exactly are covered, ask the employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">