• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for calling in sick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hmil5779

I live in Va. I have been on my job 3 years. The company offers 40 hours paid sick time. I called in on three different occasions and provided a doctor's note each time and was paid for the time off. When I went to work 05/30/10 my supervisor told me I was terminated for excessive abcences. Do I have any rights.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This may or may not be appropriate. The fact that you provided a doctor's note is immaterial. Outside of FMLA, a doctor's note has no force in law. Nor does the fact that the paid sick time is available.

The only thing that matters is whether or not the time was protected under the law.

To determine that, please answer the following questions:

1.) What was the nature of the illness or illnesses? Was it the same illness in all cases?
2.) How much time did you miss on each separate occasion? One day? Three days? A week?
3.) Over what time period did these three absences occur? Were they close together? Far apart? Days apart? Weeks? Months?
4.) How many employees does your employer have within a 75 mile period?
5.) In the 12 months immediately preceding your first absence, did you work at least 1,250 hours?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">