• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with California S Corp / Shareholders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justagizmo

California

My boyfriend & I have been in a CA S Corp back to 2006 I believe. The corp has been inactive, meaning no monies have been received, since the start.

Since I do not have much knowledge regarding the tax responsibilities, I thought that filing our annual returns "INACTIVE FOR THE YEAR ____" was sufficient. Come to find out this was true for only the 1st year of filing. I am now fulfilling an arrangement with the IRS for NOT filing the $800 Inactive fee for the past year.

AN ASIDE TO MY QUESTION: my boyfriend wants to have no financial ties to the corporation due to what he tells me is a "problem financial past".

Anyway, the business is now looking to have considerable income. My boyfriend wants to be an officer & have me be the sole shareholder. He does not want his checkered past affect the business.

How do I transfer his shares to me & keep the business on the up & up? Going forward, we will have a qualified CPA handle the finances.

MarilynnWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

davew128

The IRS doesn't assess $800 on s-corps. The California FTB does. Why do you have a corporation in the first place, particularly since it does nothing but cost you money and quite honestly, you didn't even know that much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">