• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I forced to resign?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sue11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Washington state
I just resigned from a job. I was told to sign a paper suggesting I needed to improve myself when I didn't do anything wrong. The paper didn't suggest ways to improve myself nor suggesting that I did anything wrong. I was a good productive worker. I had work conflicts with my supervisor who told lies about me to the director and that made me look bad in her eyes. My co-workers stood up for me but the director didn't want to hear anything since I already resigned. One of my co-workers was fired a week prior to me. I do believe that they want to hire Spanish speakers or other language speakers now that they realize those will be the main groups of people we serve. what can I do in this situation? thank you

>Charlotte<

Lurker
No, you weren't forced to resign. Unless you left something out of your post, it sounds like you resigned voluntarily. Quitting because you don't agree with your performance review is in no way, shape, or form a "forced" resignation.

commentator

You can sign up for unemployment insurance, tell them you were given a "quit or be discharged" ultimatum. Then the company will be contacted, asked for the reason you were terminated. They will respond by saying you voluntarily resigned. You will respond that you were given no warning,(if this is the case) and you did not know your job was in jeopardy. You were told you would be terminated, but you were also told that you had to sign this paper saying you resigned, that you had not been told previously that your job was in jeopardy. If you voluntarily quit, you have to prove to unemployment that you had a good job related reason to quit. But if they gave you no choice, quit or be fired, that's really another issue, and you should definitely file for unemployment anyway, work it out with them in this situation. It costs nothing, there is no downside to filing, they may deny your claim, but then again, they may approve it and you will have some money coming in until you get another job.

I agree, there is no way they can "force" you to sign a paper admitting to wrongdoing. What was the penalty if you didn't? That you were going to be terminated ? You were anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">