• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment application, possible problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ronss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az

i was released on my certified nursing job in nov, 09, they did a background check, and did not like my driving under the influence from 1994....its has no bearing on my job requirments, my qualifications. and in 94, my parting deceased, and the drinking of alcohol also left my life

problem,,,,,i have been having trouble getting interviews, and believe the last place that dicharged me,is giving me a bad referance....is there anything i can do.....on applications, it asks if they can contact previous employer....should i put down NO.

also, sometimes get a call from a prospective employer, had 2...when i call back, i cannot get in touch with the person that does the hiring,,,just a message phone..its so discouraging.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is your legal question?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az

i was released on my certified nursing job in nov, 09, they did a background check, and did not like my driving under the influence from 1994....its has no bearing on my job requirments, my qualifications. and in 94, my parting deceased, and the drinking of alcohol also left my life

problem,,,,,i have been having trouble getting interviews, and believe the last place that dicharged me,is giving me a bad referance....is there anything i can do.....on applications, it asks if they can contact previous employer....should i put down NO.

also, sometimes get a call from a prospective employer, had 2...when i call back, i cannot get in touch with the person that does the hiring,,,just a message phone..its so discouraging.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are not getting called for interviews, then your previous employer has nothing to do with it. Employers DO NOT call for reference information prior to interviews. With 300 or more applicants for every individual opening, no one has the time and resources to do that many reference checks. (They never do, but especially now.)

Reference checks are ONLY made AFTER you have already interviewed and made the short list of final candidates. So if you are not getting interviews, I can GUARANTEE you that it has nothing to do with what your former employer is saying, because at that point they have said nothing.

You might also keep in mind that bad references are not inherently illegal, and that nothing in the law of any state prohibits an employer from giving truthful information about the applicant, or the reason the employee is no longer working for them. So EVEN IF the employer were giving you a bad reference, if it is a TRUTHFUL reference or one that represents their honestly held opinion, there is nothing illegal about that.

ronss

thank you for in the information and clearing this up somewhat. the job market really is bad, regardless of what the governement or economist believe. i have been a certified nursing assistant for 16 yrs, and it use to be that a job was available the next day if you quite.. i am not sure what happen, but now when you apply., 50-100 applications for a job. i wonder if the government is giving money for this schooling , and causing an overflow of workers now

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">