• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying a car from a deceased relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nhfamilyman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Hampshire & Massachusetts

My sister-in-law recently passed away and there is a car in our family that is being sold. I made an offer to purchase the car with the proceeding going to pay for the funeral expenses. I had the car transfered from where my sister-in-law lived in Massachusetts to out home in New Hmapshire.
I called the RMV in NH and asked what it will take to transfer the title over to me and the represnative at RMV's title department told me it has to go through MA Probate court before I can take posession of it. I contacted someone at MA probabe court and they said that a Voluntary Administration Statement has to be signed and processed through Probate, which has to be done by a MA resident and imidiate family member. My wife contacted all her siblings and none of them want to do this for what ever reasons.
My brother-in-law told me that the back of the title has already been signed by my deceased sister-in-law, which By the way is who we are suppose to pay. So my questions are as follows:
1. If the title has already be signed, which I'm concerned that a living relative did by forging a signature, does this car still need to go though probate or not?
2. If we take possesion of the car will we be responsible for any outstanding expenses, namly RMS and excise taxes from my deceased sister-in-law?
3. IS there anything elese I'm over looking on this issues?

Regards
NH family man

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">