• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for going to detox?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slimjim11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
I going to court on this for my unemployment benefits and not sure what to do.
the appeals board is asked.1)"Did the claimants most recent work end due to an irresistible compulsion to use or consume intoxicants? Did the claimant earn enough wages to purge a disqualification. If not, has an authorized individual certified that the claimant is able to return to work after completing treatment or while undergoing treatment".
2)"did the claimant voluntarily leave his or her most recent employment without good cause. Was the claimant discharged for mis conduct connected with his or her most recent work"?

I called in and informed my employer,I have a note from the detox and a note from my doctor thats says i can work.What should i do?
thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your post is incredibly hard to follow but I'll make a stab at it.

Did you follow your employer's call in procedures?

How much time, overall, did you miss?

Prior to your going to rehab, what kind of work record did you have? (attendance, performance, etc.)

What triggered your termination? For that matter, what triggered your decision to do rehab?

slimjim11

As far as call in procedures yes i called before my shift thursday,fri,went to detox on monday.and called on all days in detox. i missed a totall of seven day but was told i was terminated after five. I've been to detox once before this in a two year period.
my dicision for rehab was an intervention from my family.

slimjim11

I was always early for work and only missed work for five days about six months prior.( which was my vacation time in detox)

commentator

Okay, you must explain. Where are you on your unemployment situation????

Okay, were you terminated? How long ago? Are you signed up for unemployment and making your weekly certifications for the weeks that pass? Since you filed for benefits, have you already received an initial decision about whether the claim was approved or denied? This is the first letter you get, saying that your claim has either been approved or denied.

Have you gotten this, or did you just receive something from them asking you these questions you've listed there? if so, if you've just received a bunch of questions, they haven't made a decision denying you benefits yet.

If you have received a letter telling you your claim has been denied, have you sent it back saying you wish to appeal this decision? "I going to court for this on my unemployment" and all these questions doesn't make much clear to us here. Have you already had a hearing? With you and the employer both there? We can probably help you with appealing this claim, but you'll need to give a little more information please.

Oh, and by the way, if you did not earn enough covered wages while working for this employer who has fired you to "purge a disqualification" which has apparently happened previously, that means that you are not considered eligible for benefits regardless of what happened on this job, because here a while back, you left a previous job or this job for some reason, filed a claim and were denied benefits. Before you could draw again, you will have to submit proof like a W-2 or check stubs that you have made a certain amount in gross wages, probably 10x your weekly benefit amount from this employer that fired you this time since that last claim was filed and denied. Otherwise, you've got no claim, no appeal, nothing, regardless of whether you were fired unjustly for going to detox or not. That's the first thing you've got to do.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are trying very hard to avoid giving me information that is really quite important to the question.

I am going to ask this one more time, and if you do not answer it, I'm not going to bother with you any more.

WHAT. WAS. YOUR. PERFORMANCE. LIKE. PRIOR. TO. YOUR. GOING. OUT.

slimjim11

I have a very strong work ethic and I am a very hard worker. No I am not currently working.
And I have been declined and have a notice to appear.
as far as being fired before i went detox about six months prior. then got hired back.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is not an answer to my question. I did not ask about your work ethic. I did not ask whether you were a hard worker. I ASKED ABOUT YOUR PERFORMANCE.

Since you are clearly not going to answer my question, I cannot help you.

Have a nice day.

commentator

Nothing means anything unless you have sufficient wages to purge your prior disqualification. Performance, reason for firing, medical excuses, nothing. Because you won't get unemployment. Where are you in the claims process?

slimjim11

my Performance at work was very good as far as my boss. As far as the claims process im doin mail ins now and have hearing tommorrow morning. how do i know if i have sufficient wages?

commentator

Okay if you have a hearing tomorrow morning, they probably have decided you have the required wages or you would not have been allowed to go through this appeals process. But in any case, I would have available for showing my last pay stub, with my gross wages on it, proving exactly what you have made since you went back to work for them after your last unemployment denial.

Now if this is an appeals hearing, after you have already been denied once, it will be a formal procedure, held before an appeals official, will be taped and all parties will be sworn in. Both you and the employer will be there. Since, I am assuming, you have been denied and are the one appealing, you will present your evidence first.

What you will do is go over how long you had been employed at this job, and what happened on the last day you worked. In other words, how did you find out you were fired? Did you go home as usual at quitting time one day, and then decide to go to detox again, and did you call your employer the following day and let them know you were not coming in because you were in a detox facility? Did you follow the required call in procedures?

Or did you have an incident at work that caused you to go back to detox, like coming to work drunk, going to sleep on the job,failing a drug test or having an accident? Had you had any prior warnings or notices about your job performance? How about your attendance? Did you show up for work drunk or impaired and unable to work, is this the reason you were fired,or were you fired just for being in detox, not being at work? Did your employer have a policy that they would allow one session of detox, not two? Was there any policy about it? Had you discussed your issues with your employer/HR before you went into detox this time?

If you called in and told your employer you were going to detox, and then you received a letter or notice that you had been fired, or you called them as soon as you were out of detox and told them that you had a doctor's statement and were released to go back to work, and they said, "No, you are fired!" whatever happened, you will present your letter from the doctor and tell what day you were told you were fully released to return to work and what your employer told you.

If you are having your actual appeals hearing, you'll be speaking first, then your employer will speak, and then you'll be asking them questions and they'll be asking you questions. The official will ask questions if something isn't clear about what is going on or if you get off track.

The thing that might win this for you is that you have a medical excuse, releasing you back to work. If you followed the proper notification procedures in telling your employer you were going to be out while in detox, even if you had had dozens of prior absences, your claim may have a fair chance to be approved, as the detox may be considered an unavoidable medical necessity.

It appears you went to detox about six months ago, and they/or another employer fired you, and you filed for unemployment and were denied, right? And then you went back to work and have worked until now, and are fired again and filed for unemployment again.

If you had some major issue at work, or work related/intoxicant related situation that precipitated your going into detox again, then you may be out of luck getting the claim approved.

It depends on what happened, what evidence and issues are going to be presented by you and by your employer. If this is your second appeals hearing, then beyond this, if you do not win, you can ask for an appeal to the board of review, but beyond that, you can't really take it further. If you have lost three decisions, going to civil court isn't worth the time and trouble. The unemployment laws are pretty cut and dried, and if you don't win the first ones, you very rarely are able to overturn the decisions in civil court.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">