• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cut my pay because my child was sick!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deena3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I had to leave work because my childs daycare called that he was sick. I took him to Dr and have a Dr's excuse. I returned to work the next day and was asked to sign a change of pay form where they cut my pay and put me back on a 90 day probation period. Is this legal?

pattytx

"Cut your pay" meaning what? Reduced your pay rate going forward? Docked you for sick or personal time that you weren't at work?

Please clarify.

deena3

That is going forward...they wanted me to sign that I agreed and also put in the paper they wanted me to sign that I would be back on a 90 day probation period, this would allow them to get rid of me within 30 days and avoid unemployment pay is what I figured theya re trying to do

CourtClerk

That is going forward...they wanted me to sign that I agreed and also put in the paper they wanted me to sign that I would be back on a 90 day probation period, this would allow them to get rid of me within 30 days and avoid unemployment pay is what I figured theya re trying to do
Probably. How much time off have you taken?

deena3

I had only missed that day that week when this happened. I did have to miss another day few weeks ago for same thing. I was salary working 55 hrs week and was cut to hourly making less

pattytx

OK, then as long as the pay cut leaves you making at least minimum wage, all of it is legal.

Whether or not their account would not be charged even if you were to receive unemployment benefits at some later date, that would be between them and the state. And if, at some later date, you are fired for attendance issues, the employer may wish to protest; and they're CYA-ing themselves by having you sign this paper. It may not be fair in your eyes (and maybe even in mine), but it's a wise business move.

swalsh411

Their brillant unemployment avoidance plan wouldn't work. Even if they did fire you right away, missing work one day to care for a sick child is not misconduct.

Try to keep your nose clean so if they do decide to fire you you can get unemployment while you look for a new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">