• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I get hired back with my recent DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickweboffer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I just got a DUI over the weekend and I am all stressed about it. I have hired a lawyer to handle all the paperwork. I haven't appeared in court or anything yet.

I am getting very worried if/when I get convicted of my DUI. I have a traveling job, on temp contract. It ends in a couple of months. I am worried my employer won't renew my contract. Although the actual job I perform daily doesn't require driving, the company does rent me a car. Every time my contract is renewed, they do a backgroun check and I have to pass drug test.

What are my options? Should I start looking for a different job?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To sit tight and see what happens.

Your employer has no legal obligation to renew your contract, regardless of whether you get a DUI or not. Unless there is a guaranteed renewal clause, when it's up, it's up. Even if you didn't get the DUI, he still would not be required to renew your contract.

Absolutely do not lie on job applications. You do not have to volunteer anything that they don't ask, but you do have to answer truthfully what they do ask. If you don't, and they catch you in the lie (which is MUCH easier than you might think), that's grounds for immediate dismissal (or putting you in the do-not-hire-ever pile if you've not been hired yet). Many employers will forgive a single mistake. Few if any will forgive being lied to.

Bottom line, there is nothing you can do at the moment to guarantee your future employment. There would be nothing you could do at the moment to guarantee your future employment even if this had never happened.

Don't stress. Easy to say, I know.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I just got a DUI over the weekend and I am all stressed about it. I have hired a lawyer to handle all the paperwork. I haven't appeared in court or anything yet.

I am getting very worried if/when I get convicted of my DUI. My job is on contract. It ends in a couple of months. I am worried my employer won't renew my contract. And I won't be able to find a different job if they 1)do a routine background check, or 2) ask me if I have any criminal record. I don't want to lie.

What are my options?
**A: what kind of work do you do? Are you a bartender or work for the liquor commission by any chance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">