• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edawgii

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Good day,

I moved to VA 3 months ago from PA. I left a company in PA after 7 years of working for them to move to the Virginia Beach area. I had a job lined up before I moved. Ive been working in VA for the entire 3 months that I lived here. I have closing on a house tomm, (friday) and I was layed off this morning (thursday). I do not have to worry about a mortgage because my family is helping me. What would be my options for unemployment? Any advice please!
thanks
Eric

commentator

This coming Sunday, you file for unemployment in VA, since this is where you last worked. If they have a walk in unemployment filing system, use it. If they have a telephone system, use it. Use the internet system only as a last resort, because this claim is going to be slightly more complicated, a living human being will be a good option for you to talk to.
Be sure you put in your whole work history, dates and address of the employer you worked for in Pennsylvania will be needed.

You want to register for work and do your job seeking activities in VA, close to your residence, but you will be drawn a PA claim. You have been laid off, in other words let go through no fault of your own. So you should be able to draw based on your reason for separation from your most recent employer.

Your wages will be moved from PA and a PA claim will be set up for you to draw through the VA unemployment system. (See why you need to explain this clearly, not just put something in on the internet that may or may not get picked up on by the state unemployment office?) Your base period wages will all be PA wages, this will be a classic "interstate claim." Every state has an internet unit which handles this process.

Unemployment eligibility has absolutely no connection to your income, whether you have a mortgage or not or whether your family is helping you or you are a trust fund baby. You do not get approved for it because you are indigent, you get approved for it because you are out of work through no fault of your own and you are able available and actively seeking another job.

pattytx

You may or may not get unemployment through VA, you may still get it through PA; depends on the state.

A while back, I moved from PA to MD for a temp-to-hire job that didn't pan out. Because I didn't have any wages in PA in the base period, my UI claim had to be filed in MD (PA had nothing to do with it at that ime) and I got the Maryland benefit schedule. Too bad, too, because PA has a much higher benefit schedule than MD.

Actually, I'd call PA first and ask them. My guess would be that you would file in PA, but they could tell you for sure.

commentator

Uh, surely, p-tax, you mean you had no wages in MD, had all your wages in PA. Because if you moved from PA to MD, and only worked a little while (like this guy's 3 mo.), all your base period wages wouldn't have been MD wages, they'd have been PA wages. How long did you work in MD before you were laid off? Did they insist on a Maryland claim because you'd been laid off by an employer in Maryland? Fascinating! I'll research this. PA u.i. system is very strange in some ways but I didn't realize they'd figured out a way to not have to transfer wages.

First four of last five quarters, about 18 months back is what he'll be based on. And you can file from whatever state you are in, don't have to go back to PA to file, where ever you want to live while drawing, because of work registration.

He will have to do what PA recommends as a work registration process if he's on a PA claim, send in PA worksearch cards, but he can do it while he's in VA, send it in to PA. if this person calls the PA interstate unit or the VA interstate unit, or just checks with someone who takes claims in VA (this is iffy-er) I'm sure they will give him the set up. But in any case, I can't see where this guy's not going to have a PA claim, not a VA claim.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can confirm that she had her wages in MD, not PA. I've known her since she was PattyStL and followed her track across the US.

edawgii

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I talked to a guy here and he says do the internet sign up, but i do prefer to talk with someone face to face. Ill check it out tomm.
I know having a mortgage does not effect the unemployement elegibility, but its about the worst time a layoff could happen. I still will have a mortgage with my father, but if it was through a bank, I think the deal would have fallen through.

I think Ill let him know on Monday and see if he kills me then. Then ill probably need some advice on how to write a will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">