• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seeker30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My mother recently inherited her mothers house. She is the only one on the title however, her brother and sister are living there and she is not able to get them to move it. She needs to fix the house up and may move into it or rent it out. Her relatives do not pay anything and my mother also had power of attorney on my grandmas bill, utilities, etc. We have come to find out that her realtives living there have switched those utilities into their name and are also moving other people in. What does she do to get them out since they do not pay anything and their is no type of agreement with her relatives living there? My mother was also left everything in the will and they have all her stuff in their possession and have been having yard sales.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My mother recently inherited her mothers house. She is the only one on the title however, her brother and sister are living there and she is not able to get them to move it. She needs to fix the house up and may move into it or rent it out. Her relatives do not pay anything and my mother also had power of attorney on my grandmas bill, utilities, etc. We have come to find out that her realtives living there have switched those utilities into their name and are also moving other people in. What does she do to get them out since they do not pay anything and their is no type of agreement with her relatives living there? My mother was also left everything in the will and they have all her stuff in their possession and have been having yard sales.
She needs to evict them. It would be well worth having a real estate attorney involved.

Seeker30

She needs to evict them. It would be well worth having a real estate attorney involved.
She wasn't sure if she had to go through that process being that they are not renting and their in nothing that binds them to that property other than they are now getting mail there at the address and have changed the utilities in their name. I would think they should not have been able to even do that

HomeGuru

She wasn't sure if she had to go through that process being that they are not renting and their in nothing that binds them to that property other than they are now getting mail there at the address and have changed the utilities in their name. I would think they should not have been able to even do that
**A: if your mother is the titleholder, she needs to act as landlord and evict the occupants (legal tenants) following the CA landlord tenant law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">