• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i got fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patlapa

My name is kim. i am a sever in KY. i work at **** restuarant since Sept last year untill Jun6, 2010. i got fired because my boss's friend saw me at *** company (this company sell restuarant's equipment). My boss friend though that i am going to open restuarant too. So he call my boss and told her what he saw. My boss's partner come and talk to me about it. So i tell him the ture, i don't want to lie to him that in the future, yes i want to open too. After that, i think they (my boss and boss's partner) both talk about it. My boss, she call me after work, she told me that she's not comfortable to have me here. i don't need to come to work anymore. i talk to my friends and they said i didn't do anything wrong. i should to find someone help me. So i would like to know that she has a right to fired me because i want to open my own bussiness? What should i do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

My name is kim. i am a sever in KY. i work at **** restuarant since Sept last year untill Jun6, 2010. i got fired because my boss's friend saw me at *** company (this company sell restuarant's equipment). My boss friend though that i am going to open restuarant too. So he call my boss and told her what he saw. My boss's partner come and talk to me about it. So i tell him the ture, i don't want to lie to him that in the future, yes i want to open too. After that, i think they (my boss and boss's partner) both talk about it. My boss, she call me after work, she told me that she's not comfortable to have me here. i don't need to come to work anymore. i talk to my friends and they said i didn't do anything wrong. i should to find someone help me. So i would like to know that she has a right to fired me because i want to open my own bussiness? What should i do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Nothing illegal happened here.

You can be fired for wearing pink jeans, having blue hair, because it's Wednesday, because the boss woke up grumpy - basically any reason at all which is not protected by law (such as race, gender etc.,).

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Yes, she does have the right to fire you. She can fire you for any reason not specifically prohibited by law, and wanting to own your own business (whether you do or not) is not a protected characteristic.

I'm sure you think it's not fair, but it is legal.

Hot Topic

This is a little nutty on your part. The friend of your boss saw you at a business that sells restaurant equipment. You said the friend "thought" that you were going to open a restaurant. According to you, he's right!

As said, you can be fired for anything. The boss could be concerned that you're going to use what you learn at her place to compete with her. Which you probably are.

You say you're a server. How does that qualify you to run a restaurant?

Antigone*

This is a little nutty on your part. The friend of your boss saw you at a business that sells restaurant equipment. You said the friend "thought" that you were going to open a restaurant. According to you, he's right!

As said, you can be fired for anything. The boss could be concerned that you're going to use what you learn at her place to compete with her. Which you probably are.

Who are you to question the OP's abilities???

Hot Topic

My apologies, Anti. I missed the post where you identified yourself as a world renowned chef who had trained many to follow in their footsteps.

patlapa

i am a sever for 5 years, my mother and father have a restuarant for over 10years and my husband is a chef for over 10 years also its still not qualify to run a business? Why you judge people from a job? i don't understand

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Right. Because in real life, everyone carries around fluffy bunnies and chickies and never, ever, ever hurts anyone's feeeeeelings. Wo Wo Wo Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The poster's qualifications to run a restaurant are irrelevant to the legal question at hand. The question is, can her employer legally fire her if he believes she is going to set up a competing restaurant? The answer is, yes, he can. Even if he is mistaken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">