• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left one company for another then laid off 40 days later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlmack72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

I left one company for another and was laid off about 40 days later. Before being hired I as told that I was being hired full time and that he could afford to bring me one. That was 10/26/09. On 12/01/09 he approaches me and states that "he can't afford me". I left a company after 6 years to work in a job that was more my field and now I am back were I started from 9/11. I was able to collect unemployment from the amount of time that I worked from the previous employer, but have been unable to find a new job. Also, my UC has run out, and I do not qualify for EUC. I am about to lose a lot right now. I was wondering if I have a case against him.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Only if you can prove that he deliberately lured you away from the other company, KNOWING that he was going to let you go shortly thereafter.

And before you say, oh, it was only 40 days, he must have known, I have personally seen and been involved with a situation where it was less than a week from the trigger event (unexpected, unanticipated and immediate loss of significant funding) to the sadly necessary layoff of fully half the employees.

commentator

Exactly why are you so sure you can't receive any EUC? Have you verified that in your particular case with the unemployment system in your state, or just heard something on t.v. that makes you think it's over? If you've already drawn out all the regular unemployment, it's been quite a while since you were let go. Unemployment in this circumstance is as good as it gets, the fact that your employer hired you away from someone and had a setback of some kind is not evidence of malice, and the fact that you haven't been able to find another job isn't really the most recent employer's fault either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">