• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-Employment/Internship Screening

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aylib

Minnesota

I'm sorry in case I am posting this in the wrong forum, if it is so--please point me in the right direction.

I now have a domestic assault misdemeanor charge on my record (my attorney is working on reducing it to disorderly conduct), what do I do with a background check application, one that asks whether I have been charged or convicted with misdemeanor/felony? Could I date the application as pre-charge, say June 5th (charge came on the 11th) and deny any misdemeanor
charges, or should I wait until the issue is resolved and admit to a
charge and provide an explanation? Or do I tell them I have a charge
and the decision is pending?

I have not been fingerprinted, if that matters.

Thank you.

swalsh411

You don't have to tell them anything. Lying on a private sector job application is not illegal. Don't bother trying to play games with the dates. If you're going to risk it by not telling the truth and hoping they won't find out just go all the way.

If you've been formally charged with a crime but it has not been settled I'd bet dollars to donuts that it will show up on at least some background checks. With that being said, I would be up front about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">