• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False background check restricting employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keyden86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island/ Massachusetts

I was recently hired as a registered nurse by a hospital in Massachusetts. Upon hiring they ran a background check through an independent background check company. I went on vacation from June 9-15, 2010. Upon returning home on June 16th, I had two letters at my house. One from the background reporting agency postmarked June 11th with my background report and a letter from the hospital/ background company stating I am ineligible for employment due to the fact that I was found to have a misdemeanor. They said I have 5 days to dispute the claim. I also received a letter from the hospital postmarked June 10 stating the same thing. I immediately called the hospital HR dept. on June 16th and explained I had been on vacation and was just receiving all this mail. I asked what I could do to dispute it. They said follow the instructions sent. I then called the background check company (which was an automated service) and left a message.

The next day, June 17th, I looked through the court judicial records and searched my name. I should say now that when I was 19 (in 2006), I was caught buying alcohol with a fake ID. The undercover police officer wrote me a ticket on the scene and told me to appear in court. I was not arrested and never fingerprinted. I did appear in court later that month, was told by a public defender that this incident was simply a violation, not a misdemeanor, and to plead nolo contendre and pay the fine, which I did. I have had multiple BCI checks in the state of Rhode Island and this incident has never shown up. I have a recent BCI check from June 17, 2010 that states I have no adult criminal history in the state of Rhode Island. I would also like to add, I am a registered nurse in both Massachusetts and Rhode Island and the process to obtain a license involves multiple background checks, all of which I have passed in order to obtain these licenses. Now back to the issue at hand.. So I checked the RI judicial records online and my name does show this incident from 2006, however it is typed as “VIOLATION: UNLAWFUL USE OF ID- FINES/ COURT COSTS” (NOT misdemeanor!). At this time I called the RI district court and they said to get the previously said BCI check and give it to them, which I did. They then gave me a court date for July 15, 2010 as a Motion to Expunge this violation.This same day, a representative from the background check company called. I explained the situation and she said to call them back so they can run another background check after I go to court on July 15th. I also called the hospital HR dept. and explained the situation and they also said to call after July 15th to update them as well.

However, I got to thinking, this term misdemeanor should not be anywhere on my background check EVER, as I was never arrested or convicted for a misdemeanor. I have no criminal record, except this fined VIOLATION. So again on June 17th at approximately 1:00 pm, I called the background agency AGAIN and left a message on the automated voicemail that this is in fact false information and I would still like to dispute the misdemeanor charge, regardless of the fact that i am getting my VIOLATION expunged. This was Thursday June 17th. I waited Friday- no call, then the weekend. On Monday (today, June 21, 2010) I called the background agency again and left a message stating I still have a dispute and have court files and a BCI check to disprove them. I am still awaiting a call back. Also today, I received another letter from the hospital (postmarked June 11, 2010) stating it has been 5 days and they have not received a dispute from the background check company, therefore they are making me ineligible for employment. I have kept both the hospital and the background check company informed of all matters and in the correct amount of time. The postmarked dates do not make sense. They cannot revoke my employment when I was only given the background check letter one day earlier. I am just confused and am wondering if there is anything I can do?

st-kitts

It is also possible that the professional reviewing the criminal check did not notice they were looking at a citatation rather than a misdemeanor. If you checked "no" to the question regarding misdemeanor or felony convictions on your application, you might have been disqualified for falsification of application, rather than the actual offense of underage consumption.

I suggest trying to talk with a supervisor in the HR Department. Explain the situation the way you did here - that you were never convicted of a misdemeanor and were truthful on your application. See if they will take a second look at your background check.

It that doesn't work, keep job hunting. On your future applications, until the situation is cleared up, you might put something like "I was cited for underage consumption of alcohol and paid a fine" on your application in response to the misdemeanor question to cover yourself. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">