• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

searched car, then home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pretbrnis

I live in California and on April 6 my finance who is on Parole drove my car to his doctor appointment. He had recently received a letter from his parole officer that he only needed to send in monthly reports and not go to his office anymore. My finance noticed that his parole officer was at the corner store by our house with a police officer. And in no time the police officer pulled him over. The officer never told him the reason he got pulled over and the ticket they wanted him to sign only said he was driving with a suspended/revoked license. My finance said he wouldn't sign it because his attorney told him not to sign any document without him reviewing it. So the made him get out of the car and asked him if they could search it. My finance told them that the car isn't his and that they could ask me. I am the only registered owner. They were close enough to see our apartment from where he was pulld over. Well the searched my car anyway and found a handgun under the passenger seat of my car. Not even 5 minutes from the time he was arrested two men came in our apartment in street clothes and they used my finance's keys to get in. They did state that they were probation officers but I never saw any proof. I know since my finance was on parole that they don't need a search warrent but shouldn't they knock and be let in or get the manager of our apartments before using a key to get in? Did they have the right t search my car? and when they came into my apartment one o them patted me down. As far as I knew I thought that only female officers could search females. They even looked at personal pictures and went through my panty drawer. So my finance was booked for parole violation, felon with a weapon, refusing to sign a ticket, and driving with a revoked license. But none of those charges even give the reason why he got pulled over in the first place. Was everything the did legal?

calatty

It looks like a legal parole search to me. No suspicion of any wrongdoing is required to conduct a parole search in CA, so long as the search is not arbitrary or harassing. The parole officer must have known your fiance did not have a valid license, so in fact he did have reason to think your fiance was violating the law. So long as your fiance was driving the car, he had control of the car and therefore the parole officer or police could search it without permission. A parole search of the apartment was valid and they probably didn't have to knock because they had keys. In a parole search, no drawer is off limits, including the panty drawer. It is usual for a female to pat females down, but I am sure that if no female is around a male officer is legally justified in doing it for officer safety.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">