• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor and Safe Deposit Box

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phimusi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State, Westchester County.

I'm the executor of my mother's Will. Her estate went to probate. The surrogate court issued Certificates of Voluntary Administration for her checking account and another for her savings account.

The lawyer is contacting the Surrogate Court again regarding my mother's car and her safe deposit box.

Regarding the safe deposit box, the lawyer has sent me a form entitled Petition to Open Safe Deposit Box. Yet, the bank has told me that they accept the document, Certificate of Voluntary Administration for me to have access to her safe deposit box. The first only entitles me to make a list of what’s in the box. The second entitles me to remove all contents from the safe deposit box.

Does the surrogate court require an accounting of the contents of the safe deposit box in order for me to have access to it?

In addition, the lawyer has said the following to me:

“With regard to the safety deposit box, you need to have an inventory of exactly what is inside the box. It is my understanding that some of the personal property inside was your father’s (such as his wedding ring). To the extent that the other personal property (such as jewelry) was jointly owned by the two of them, then your father will inherit it by operation of law, outside of your mother’s estate. To the extent that the personal property was just your mother’s, it will need to be worth less than $1,100 in order to continue to qualify as a small estate (with its expedited Surrogate’s Court procedures).”

I don’t understand the lawyer’s comments “jointly owned”, such as jewelry. The jewelry belongs to my mother (with the exception of his wedding band). She, herself, told me, prior to her death, that her better jewelry is in the safe deposit box and that along with the other jewelry (in her apartment), that it should be divided up between my sister and me.

My mother’s Will reads as follows:

“I give and bequeath all my tangible personal property which shall include, without limitation, all my clothing, books, automobiles, household furniture, furnishings and personal effects, pictures and objects of art of every kind and wheresoever situated, but shall not include any cash or securities) and all policies of insurance covering said property to my daughter,_______ and my daughter, _______, or the survivor of them, to be divided between them as they may agree between themselves, or if they fail for any reason to agree on the division thereof, such division shall be made between them as nearly equally as practicable in such a manner as my Executor in the exercise of absolute discretion shall determine, and my Executor’s decision as to the composition and quality of their respective shares shall be binding and conclusive on them.

All the rest, residue and remainder of my property and estate, real and personal, of whatever nature and wherever situated, which at the time of my death shall belong to me or be subject to my disposal by will, or to which after my death my estate shall in any manner become entitled, including any property hereinbefore mentioned but not effectually disposed of, being hereafter sometimes referred to as my “residuary estate”, I dispose of as follows:” and here, she mentions my father.

The safe deposit box is in my mother’s name. My father attempted to get into it, but the bank would not allow him.
I want to know if:

1) My mother was entitled to give her personal possessions to my sister and me, as stated in her Will.

2) Even if the jewelry that is in the safe deposit box was given to my mother as a gift from my father, is it “jointly owned” or is it completely hers and, therefore, bequeathed to my sister and me, as stated in her Will?

3) Can the lawyer or my father construe anything about that jewelry to be part of a ‘joint estate’ (therefore, my father’s), rather than my mother’s estate, alone?

Any suggestions regarding what my course of action should be?

Thank you.

Dandy Don

When you go to open the box and get the contents, also have someone there with a video camera so there will be a record of everything that is there. You really will have no idea of how to proceed legally until you find out what is actually in the box and the value of each item, for which you may have to also consult a reputable appraiser if there is no paper trail regarding the purchase of each item. You would be wise to get a second opinion about this from a local probate attorney since it is doubtful that a New York probate attorney would be reading this message board.

Dandy Don

You might also want to take with you a local daily newspaper that would show the exact day and date on the day that you do the filming. You or some other person would hold up the front page to the camera (so the person filming can zoom in on the day and date) to verify that the film was done on the same day that the box was opened. And you might also want 1 or 2 other persons to accompany you as witnesses.

tranquility

Won't the bank require a signed and dated receipt or form of some sort when a safety deposit box is opened by some means other than the owner?

latigo

It appears that your New York attorney is likely correct with regard to your mother’s personal jewelry.

If the items were the subject of an interspousal gift, then New York, along with a significant number of other states, treats the gifted items not as separate property, but as marital property.

“If, during the marriage, either party makes a gift to the other, that gift is considered marital property subject to equitable distribution”. Nehoravoff v. Nehoravoff, 108 Misc.2d 311 [Sup. Ct. Nassau County 1981; Ackley v. Ackley, 100 AD2d 153 (4th Dept. 1984)

Also, you DO NOT need to video the contents of the safety deposit box!
Rest assured that the person that recommended that you do has never had his nose near a law book!

tranquility

I agree. I don't see a value to videotaping. Even in contention, a written summary should suffice. Almost always, when more is done, more is litigated.

phimusi

With regard to:

“If, during the marriage, either party makes a gift to the other, that gift is considered marital property subject to equitable distribution”. Nehoravoff v. Nehoravoff, 108 Misc.2d 311 [Sup. Ct. Nassau County 1981; Ackley v. Ackley, 100 AD2d 153 (4th Dept. 1984).

It appears to apply to divorce situations....it doesn't appear to apply to death and Wills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">