• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teaching Jobs -- Counties have "Gentlemen's Agreement".??? Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FINFAN3DP

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VIRGINIA

Here is the story:

I teach in an ajoining county to the one I live in. The school district I work in forces it's teachers to sign their contracts on June 5th. I had an interview with the county I live in on June 4th. I signed my contract on June 5th, not knowing if I got the job or not. (i have to have a job for next year, and my contract says I have to give two weeks notice to get out of it.)

Flashforward to today, June 22nd, 17 days after I sign my contract and I get a call from the job I interviewed offering me the position and saying I have to get a "Release without concern" from my current contract.

I went to my principal and told them what had happened. I told them that I got a job that was 8 mins from my house, instead of the current 40 mins, and the new job paid $13,000 more. Yes, I SAID THIRTEEN THOUSAND!

The principal said they understood completely and they would talk to Human Resources and get my release.

An hour later I get a call from Human Resources and the woman informs me that the other county should have never offered me a position after June 1st, because they have a gentlemen's agreement between the counties.

My question is, could this possibly be legal??? Could they rob me of my right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of hapiness???

Please help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This not only can be legal, it is legal.

Take the drama llama back out to pasture. They haven't violated any constitutional rights of yours; they've simply protected their own mutual interests by ensuring that neither employer will hold raiding parties of the other's employee base.

FINFAN3DP

hard to believe

I find that VERY hard to believe... It's like they are keeping you from earning a decent living.

swalsh411

That's fine... don't believe it. But until you can find a law it breaks... it's entirely legal. Every professional has it's peculiarities and you have found one of them in yours.

Beth3

An hour later I get a call from Human Resources and the woman informs me that the other county should have never offered me a position after June 1st, because they have a gentlemen's agreement between the counties.

Yes, it's legal but I presume the school in the adjoining county has chosen to ignore it since they offered you a job. A verbal agreement not to "steal" each other's employees is not any form of a binding contract. Your present HR rep saying that the other county "never" should have offered you a job does not have any legal standing.

Check with the individual who made you the job offer and double-check that they are standing by their offer. If the answer is yes, then ask your principal/HR person for a release from the contract you signed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">