• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with my 'employer'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trble

State - New Jersey

Hello

I have a big problem with my employer, well now ex employer. Let me explain.

In these tough economic times I lost my job (company went down), and because of that I was in a search of another one. I found a listing online saying 'looking for a plumber mechanic, new construction, renovation, etc."

I called up the guy - contractor, developer - and arranged the meeting - everything seemed normal. We arranged how much I am going to make an hour and the next day I went to work where I welded and glued new plumbing installations.

For the first few days the guy showed up every day, called me frequently. I went from one job to another - at the end of the week I had about 60 hours of work. All the work was done, I gave him my time sheets with all the things I completed and I went home.

He told me that he is going to call me on Monday and give me addresses for other jobs and of course, the money.

Comes Monday, guy did not call me but I called him and got no response. Tuesday, nothing. Now I call him everyday and he just does not respond to my calls.

He took my personal information (address, social security, driver license and other stuff). He does not want to pay.

I tried to call his number and his 'company' number. Nothing!

What can I do in a situation like this? I can't track him down.
Please help!

Mark

Last edited:

Trble

Only verbal agreement. We arranged that I am going to use my tools and my van and he is going to pay me by hour.

pattytx

Did you fill out ANY paperwork; W-4, I-9?

Do you have ANY information about him? Address, even personal address? Where did you meet him; office, Starbucks?

Beth3

Unfortunately, it sure looks like this guy scammed you.

You can contact your State's Department of Labor and see if they can help you. It's possible you may have to sue this guy in small claims court however.

I also suggest you contact the Better Business Bureau and report him and his company. (They can't help you with your unpaid wages but they will have that information available to anyone who calls to check on him.) Before you accept any more jobs like this, I suggest you call the BBB yourself and see what they know about the contractor/employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">