• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yikes! Uninsured non commercial inflatable bouncer buz.!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lauren cupa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsin

Hello out there!

My sister and her husband just "opened" an inflatable/bouncer rental business from their home two weeks ago and already their phone is ringing off the hook and they've asked me if we'd like to invest so they can purchase more bouncers.

I just returned from their home (her hub was out delivering a bouncer for a party) and she blew one up for me in her back yard. These bouncers are the kind that you can buy for a few hundred dollars at Toys R us or Walmart...not the commerical bouncers that are $2,3,4 grand and rent through party/rental companies. On the bouncer itself stated "not for commerical purposes and only 2-3 children on unit at a time"

To further freak me out, they carry no paperwork - no insurance, no checking with state and local offices about regulations....they simply print out a waiver stating obvious stuff and that they can not be held liable if a child is hurt while using their bouncer. They simply take the order for a party, meet or deliver the bouncer and blower, take cash only and go back to pick it up later that day or next. No wonder their phone is consantly ringing - they are charging $50 a day for the unit compared to $150-$250 for a commercial unit.....

My sister was a bit offended that I did not hand over $$ to her but I see potential disaster with this enterprise. Their safety net is that waiver but to me this all seems like a recipe for disaster...too good to be true? I'm worried that they can really set themselves up for a heap of trouble. Or am I a party pooper?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I hope your parents know you're the "smart" one.

Your sister is practically on her hands and knees begging for trouble.

You don't get out of responsibility by simply printing something that says "I'm not responsible". If someone gets hurt, nothing in the world is going to prohibit a lawsuit, regardless of any kind of disclaimer. If they are deliberately providing equipment that specifically warns against the activity for which it is being provided, it's just a matter of time. They're idiots.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsin

Hello out there!

My sister and her husband just "opened" an inflatable/bouncer rental business from their home two weeks ago and already their phone is ringing off the hook and they've asked me if we'd like to invest so they can purchase more bouncers.

I just returned from their home (her hub was out delivering a bouncer for a party) and she blew one up for me in her back yard. These bouncers are the kind that you can buy for a few hundred dollars at Toys R us or Walmart...not the commerical bouncers that are $2,3,4 grand and rent through party/rental companies. On the bouncer itself stated "not for commerical purposes and only 2-3 children on unit at a time"

To further freak me out, they carry no paperwork - no insurance, no checking with state and local offices about regulations....they simply print out a waiver stating obvious stuff and that they can not be held liable if a child is hurt while using their bouncer. They simply take the order for a party, meet or deliver the bouncer and blower, take cash only and go back to pick it up later that day or next. No wonder their phone is consantly ringing - they are charging $50 a day for the unit compared to $150-$250 for a commercial unit.....

My sister was a bit offended that I did not hand over $$ to her but I see potential disaster with this enterprise. Their safety net is that waiver but to me this all seems like a recipe for disaster...too good to be true? I'm worried that they can really set themselves up for a heap of trouble. Or am I a party pooper?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: sounds like they have an illegal business that is not insured. Stay away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">