• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployement Denial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jserrano2113

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?California

My employer is in the consdtruction industry and is a shady individual, he has fired someone because of her weight, altered documents for the IRS, pays employees cash, falsifies Prevailing wage reports on public works jobs, just to name a few....and

I recently was let go from my employer without being given a reason. Here's what happened:
I was starting to feel a migraine so I let the other girl in the office know that I was going to be absent the next day and I told her to please let my boss know and gave her the key to open up. The next day the girl in the office sends me a text message to tell me that my boss at the time told me to also take the next day off, so I replied ok. The following day I get a text message saying that my boss wants me to come pick up my check. After my telephone interview, I received a letter saying that my unemployment was denied because I was absent without permission and that I did not properly notify my employer. Since I have been there over a year, this is how I have always called in sick. I was never reprimanded for it. I never read the company handbook or sign anything aknowledging that I had read it. So now I am trying to appeal, I can use some input,suggestions

commentator

Okay, keep filing for your weekly or bi-weekly certifications while waiting for your appeals hearing. You have filed an appeal, right? If not, do so at once. All you will do is send it back saying, "I wish to appeal this decision. I request an in-person hearing." You do not have to respond in any other way, explain why you feel this is unjust, anything else except get the info back to the agency within the time limit that you do request an appeal.

Now, when the hearing comes around, you will be the person presenting first. You are the one appealing the decision. First of all, lose all the superfluous information about what a trash-head your former employer is, how he did this to this person, that to the IRS, this to his family pet. Just the facts, ma'am.

They truly do not care about his character or how the job was going for you otherwise, just whether unemployment law is followed. Unemployment law says the employer must have a good job related reason to terminate you. No call in no show up is almost always considered misconduct, even if you did it just once. What you will be attempting to show is that you were following the same "tell someone you're going to be off" procedure you always have done since you began work, and you did not know that doing this might cause your job to end. You will state that you have never been told or warned about not talking to the boss directly about absences, and that to your knowledge, there was no cut and dried absence request policy.

Your boss and/or his attorney or his company representative will be given the opportunity to be present, though there will be a hearing even if the other party doesn't show up. You still present your facts the same way.

Begin with how long you have worked for the employer, and what you were told about absences when you began working there. If you were told nothing, given no company handbook, be sure and state that. If you were told there was a handbook, here it is, read it, sign it, then don't mention it, but it doesn't sound like you were actually ever told of a policy.

Then go into the first time you were absent, how you told the other person you were going to be absent, you gave her the keys, and you then were out for the day, or you called her that morning, however you usually arranged your absences. Clearly point out that you had done this particular thing with the other employee, without having any contact with the boss before and that you were not reprimanded, not told to call him in the future, not given any indiciation that you were not doing the right thing. if you have never been warned or written up for excessive absences, and had no idea whether your absences were considered excessive, throw that in. Particularly if you have only been absent very few times during your tenure there.

Go to this most recent incident, and point out that you covered your absence the same way you have done so in the past. Show where you received the text message on your telephone record if you have one, which shows that the other person in the office called you and said you did not need to come in the next day. Then there will be the record showing that your boss said for you to come in and pick up your check.

I have a question. When you received the message that you were not to come in the following day, weren't you a little bit suspicious that there was something up? Would you have been able to be there that day? Was it your boss' usual practice to call either of you and tell either of you not to come in some days? Was it usualy for him to pass along work related information to one worker through the other? In other words, did you know your job was in jeopardy? When they emailed you the next day to "come in and pick up your check" were you on your way to work that day? Why did you not go in that third day?

What they're going to want to hear is "What steps did you take to try to keep from being terminated?"

If you reasonably thought maybe your boss was a bit angry with you because you took off the first day, did you on the second day make any effort to speak to him, instead of the other employee?

Frankly, it sounds to me like you sort of almost quit by not calling in to him, contacting him, or going back into the worksite without anyone's telling you to stay home but your co-worker. So be sure and stress you had always done absences this way, and your boss had never told you otherwise.

Then they will be given their opportunity to show why they fired you. Then both of you will be given the chance to ask each other questions. You may ask the employer if he did, in fact, tell the other employee to text you and tell you not to come back in. Had he, at this point made the decision to terminate you? If so, why did he not tell you this directly?

Then a decision will be reached. You have a fair, but not wonderful chance of getting this one overturned and being approved. But be sure, even if the employer does not show up, that you present your material, and emphasize that your actions were not misconduct, that you were using your usual means to notify the company you would be out the next day, and that you wouldn't have done it if you had had any idea your job was in jeopardy.

commentator

Having read your other post about your former employer, I want to reiterate that you do NOT need to bring any of these other issues into your unemployment hearing.

Even if the man was the second coming of Vlad Dracula, you still do not need to talk about what a jerk he was, or any of the bad things you mentioned, except that the business practices he used were very informal, as he had a practice of setting policy after the fact, making up rules as he went along, and writing memos about what should be done after things had already happened. That you were given no company handbook, and had no real structured way to call in and report absences.

He has given you the golden card to play here, in that he fired you. Under no circumstances during your unemployment hearing would you want to mention that you were thinking of quitting anyway because he was such a low life, or that when you were told not to come back in you were delighted, because you assumed that meant you were fired. Emphasize that you were doing everything in your power to keep your job and do it to the best of your abilities.

DO NOT mention that you were thinking of quitting because he was asking you to do things you thought were unethical, or that he once fired an employee for being too fat. This is not the time or place to bring these things up, they will only weaken your case, which is ALL TOTALLY about whether or not you followed the correct notification process when you were going to be out.

Drawing unemployment, which will ultimately cost a business money from their unemployment tax account is much easier when you are terminated. I always advise people not to quit, to keep doing the job to the best of your abilities and let them terminate you if your work does not satisfy them. Keep this to the issue you are involved with here, and you will get the ultimate revenge, doing better. Next to moving on and getting a better job, getting to draw unemployment is about as good as it could get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">