• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired, but won't recieve bonus pay until a month later.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michaelstrange

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was recently fired from my job (June 25th). My company did not give me my final check until the next which from what I read is against the law. My check did not contain my bonus pay for the month of June. Typically my company gives bonus pay monthly on the 1st of the month. I would recieve my bonus for January on March 1st, Feburary bonus on the 1st of April and so on. My question is, if I was terminated do they have to pay me in full at time of termination or do I have to wait until the August 1st to recieve my bonus pay like they are telling me?

Michael

mlane58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was recently fired from my job (June 25th). My company did not give me my final check until the next which from what I read is against the law. My check did not contain my bonus pay for the month of June. Typically my company gives bonus pay monthly on the 1st of the month. I would recieve my bonus for January on March 1st, Feburary bonus on the 1st of April and so on. My question is, if I was terminated do they have to pay me in full at time of termination or do I have to wait until the August 1st to recieve my bonus pay like they are telling me?

Michael
Bonuses are not expressly covered under the CA Labor Code. Bonuses are based upon the contract between the parties. If you don't recieve your bonus, you more than likely have to take them to small claims.

pattytx

You're lucky you're going to get it at all. It would be perfectly legal in California (under wage and hour law, at least) to have a bonus plan which stated that you had to be employed at the time of payment. The employer does not have to accelerate payment of discretionary bonuses just because you quit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">