• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posession of Marijuana less than 40 grams

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Washingtonian

So while at university in Washington, me and my room mate were charged with Possession of marijuana less then 40 grams. He actually had the drugs (around 6 grams or so), but I had about a gram in my room we were planning on rolling later that night. Oddly enough though they didn't give us a ticket and just left us with a copy of the search warrant. ( On a side note they took a bunch of my stuff that wasn't illegal in any way, like coffee and tea seeds...:confused:) Anyways that was in November and the University went through their whole thing and with a few meetings and some community service we thought that was it. But now, 5-6 months later, I get a court summons in the mail, but my roommate hasn't, and it appears he isn't going to be charged. So I suppose my question is why are they targeting me? I can only fathom the reason is that I am on unsupervised probation in my home county (different then my school), for possession of alcohol. So is possession of marijuana less then 40 grams a criminal violation in WA? (If its not then it wont affect my probation). The judge signed the warrant, but the officer didn't, would that be grounds for illegal search and seizure? I guess the real question is do I have a case and should I bother hiring a lawyer? Or should I just take the prosecuting attorneys offer and plead guilty?

FlyingRon

Less than 40g is still a misdemeanor.
There may be any number of reasons why he isn't charged, but that means nothing with you. By what you admitted here you are guilty. You should seek out advice of a lawyer. You are looking to get at least the statutory minimum $250 and a day in jail.

The only signature that matters on the warrant is the judge's. Presumably he has gotten whatever affidavits or whatever else he needs from the officers involved.

What is the prosecutor "offering" for your guilty plea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">