• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nevada & CA Employment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scorpgc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

We are opening an office in Reno, Nevada within the next 2-months. Our CEO has a practice of hiring "temp" only personnel for a particular department. Some "temporaries" have been on our payroll for more than 2 years, and not run through a temporary staffing agency. Many times I have shared the implications of this practice, but to no avail. We do have full time, regular staff as well, but for this department he hires temporary (office work, normal 8 hour work day shifts).

My question is relative to labor practice in Nevada. Would anyone know of particular labor laws or opinion letters regarding temporary (not through an agency) employment? This is not contract or 1099 work, but in-house temporary. i.e., are there labor laws surrounding the maximum length of time an employer can keep an employee "temporary"?

Thanks much-
A frustrated HR Director

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as it is not done for the specific purpose of excluding them from benefits that they would otherwise have been entitled to, they can be left as "temporary" employees indefinitely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">