• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ID - No executor named, no PR/PoA yet. Bank questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

We_here

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I have two more questions today I hope someone can help me with.

There are four heirs.
There is a bank account with a known amount of money in it.

May I contact the bank to inquire whether my Grandmother left 'payment upon death' instructions for her bank account? Or must we wait for someone to be appointed.

(The reason I want this is to hire an appraiser for the real estate as the heir who is likely to be named personal representative (because she is local) seems to be considering selling the property far below what I think it may be worth and I can't currently afford an appraisal or lawyer)
++++++++++++++++

We also found safe deposit box keys and the number to the box. I think there may be a newer Will in the box (as my Grandma told me she had updated her will and the holographic will we found at home is 15 years old doesn't include what she told me she changed) there may be life insurance policy(s) and possibly other instruments and/or investments in the box as well.

I guess my question is; Do we need to wait for a representative to be nominated/appointed? Can any of the heirs access it without informing others? Is there some way I can insist the contents be at least inventoried by a disinterested third party?
++++++++++++

I realize these questions may be getting a little more complicated and not asked as well so please ask for any clarifications so I can ask more intelligent questions. What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IdahoWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho
May I contact the bank to inquire whether my Grandmother left 'payment upon death' instructions for her bank account? Or must we wait for someone to be appointed.
The bank may or may not tell you. They probably should not unless you are one of the named beneficiaries. But you never can tell. There is no penalty for asking.

We also found safe deposit box keys and the number to the box. I think there may be a newer Will in the box (as my Grandma told me she had updated her will and the holographic will we found at home is 15 years old doesn't include what she told me she changed) there may be life insurance policy(s) and possibly other instruments and/or investments in the box as well.

I guess my question is; Do we need to wait for a representative to be nominated/appointed? Can any of the heirs access it without informing others? Is there some way I can insist the contents be at least inventoried by a disinterested third party?
I did a very quick search on Idaho statutes and did not come up with anything. Once again, I would say to ask the bank what their procedures are. They may allow access for the purpose of locating a will, but I doubt that any other access would be permitted until a personal representative is appointed.

We_here

Thank you so much again for taking the time to help me.

What is very difficult is that I want to maintain 'harmony' among the heirs (I believe I am one of the beneficiaries per a previous question and answer).

Our Grandma lived in a very small town her whole life (around 500 population) and the probable personal representative has lived there all her life, is cousin to the assistant(?) bank manager (other side of her family) and the person making an offer on the property is a brother of the bank manager. She brought in an appraiser "off the record" who said the house is worthless because of a couple of issues (that I have later found are not such a problem) and we could only sell for the value of the lot (then back to managers brother for 'final offer').
Sorry for slightly off-topic, it's all mixed together in my head.

I'm just really torn. We are a small family and Grandma was the one who held us all together. I don't want to alienate my family but I want the most we can get from every asset and no 'favors' for friends or extended family.

I can hardly afford to travel there (might not be able to afford not to) and I truly do want to trust my cousin but verify things without offending her. I let the estates of my mother and father go without asserting my rights and really don't intend to do it again. But I digress, just trying to paint a better picture of the situation.

I guess I'll talk to my brother and make sure we are on the same page then talk with our cousin about it. She is currently sending us documents to nominate or appoint her as personal representative. I know co-representative is a no fly from what I've read, but don't want to pay out the unknown fees to have a probate lawyer handle the estate.

I wish there were some form of co-rep we could all do that would assure that the personal items, the bank items, the real property.. everything was disbursed to it's highest value. I don't want more than anyone else, just the best value for her belongings as I think she would have to.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">