• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can they let me go ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nowmyrights

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

3 years ago, Me and my soon to be ex husband, got relocated by our company (from another country) to the its US branch
I'm not sure what were the reasons for doing so, however back then the company decided to grant us a VISA to the states, making him the primary holder and me as his dependent (even back then I was higher ranked with the exact same seniority)

Back then it did not seem reasonable to make an issue out of it
I was also advised that once I make it into the states I should apply for EAD (work authorization) and it should take few weeks till I get it.
It took me 6 months to get the EAD with no pay. The only thing I did get is reimbursement of the EAD costs.

Within time me and my EX got separated, the company is aware of that. However on the renewal of the visa they applied for us as husband and wife. Making me as his dependent again

At he moment my EAD is about to get expire. And I won't have a valid working permit.
I notified the my new manager and he responded that the company will check what can be done to fix it

My question:
1. Assuming getting a regular working visa (not as a dependent) could take 3-6 months.
do I still get to be paid during those months?
2. or are they allowed to let me go?. Just because my work permit is expired. – FYU they are reimbursing me for this.
3. If I get laid off what are my rights? Do I get any compensation?

The little tail I just told is a bit more complicated,
I wanted to remind the company on changing my work visa and I did discuss it with immigration department. However I was asked to get a special approval and I couldn’t do so due to reasons that I cant elaborate on the web

Appreciate your response
And many thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) No, you do not get paid if you are not working.
2.) They not only can, they must. They would be in violation of the law if they allowed you to work without a valid work permit or work visa.
3.) No, not unless you have a legally binding and enforceable contract to the contrary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">