• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left holding the suitcase!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevinf2349

Texas resident

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this but I didn't see a more appropriate one so here goes.

Several years ago (before we married) my wife was given an attache case to 'look after' by a friend of hers who was having some financial and family issues. By several years I mean about 20 years ago. She was told that the case (which is unlocked) contained stamps and coins (which it does). It also contains the owners birth certificate so we are sure it is his. We have had the case with us for the last 20 years waiting for him to ask for it back. My wife still has retained the same email address as when she knew this friend, but we have moved several times in the interveneing years (including several different states). Lately my wife asked me to try and track down her friend in order to finally return the case and contents to the original owner.

My investigations led me to discover that the owner died in 2007 (we have definitive proof of this). Now we need to find out if he has an estate. However so far we are finding that all his immediate family have passed away too. I have several questions:

1) How can we find out if he had a Will?
2) What is our legal standing and obligation to find a benefactor.
3) At what point can we call the search off (so far it has cost me about $100) to try and locate the owner or his estate.

My estimate is that the contents of the case are worth at least $600.

Any advice/help/comments are most welcome.

Best regards
Kevin

Dandy Don

If you know the city/state where he died, check at the county courthouse probate court to determine if there is a probate file. Order copies of the file or ask the clerk to mail you a copy of the will plus any page in the file that shows the names and addresses of the beneficiaries. If you can't find anyone, just sell the items yourself and keep the money, although I do applaud your ethical integrity in desiring to do the right thing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Or, you could follow the law regarding escheat of property:

http://law.justia.com/texas/codes/pr/006.00.000071.00.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">