• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severence Choice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bini01

I am a 59 year old woman that has worked 40 years with the same company. We are going through a downsizing now and must post for up to 5 positions. The pool of workers is more than the number of jobs available. The competition is very high and folks from higher positions not placed yet have the opportunity to post for my job too.
My plan was to seriously look at retirement next year at age 60.
Now I have the choice to be left standing ( essentially leaving the company early), apply for multiple jobs and just take my chances.
My friend tells me she thinks the severence ( 52 weeks pay) does not cover my having to decide what to do a full year early.
She says I'm brainwashed by the company and they bet on me not making a problem for them.
Is there a case here? I'm in California

Beth3

No, there's no case of any kind.

The choice is yours - post for any available jobs that may suit you and see if they offer you a position, or take the 52 weeks of severance and retire now (or take the severance and look for a new job with another company.) It's entirely up to you. Your friend is way out in left field and is not advising you well. You're in the same boat as everyone else who is being effected by the downsizing.

BTW, a year of severance is extremely generous, even for someone who has worked there as long as you have.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to confirm, in 47 out of 50 states including CA, and in at least two of the remaining three in the circumstances you describe, there is no legal obligation on the part of the company to offer ANY severance, let alone a full year's worth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">