• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background Checks and Arizona Set Aside Judgments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deronsworldnow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona.

This may be a little broad based so I'll try to be concise: If I have plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge and has since been set aside by the same judge that accepted a guilty plea, what do potential employers see on their background checks? I believe they can see a the charge and that it has been set aside. In which case you would have to explain yourself (in the real world).

1. What type of sources do employers use/reference in AZ and what do they see? (Typically that is, i.g., a Consulting Firm or ATT&T)

2. The idea of "setting aside" judgement is so that you can no longer be held responsible for it and you can get on with your life. However, in the real world, if they see the charge it's a strike-"set aside" or not. So, is there ANY way you can avoid that conversation?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

mlane58

Background checks are not created equal. With that being said, no one here can tell what is going to show up or how it will be worded.

deronsworldnow

Not much hope here.

I think my research is revealing that for all intents and purposes, I'm out of luck. It appears that in Arizona, setting aside judgment (unlike some states where an expungement virtually removes all records except law enforcement purposes) is simply a matter of the court saying, "he's cool with us now, but yeah, we found him guilty..."

I'd love it if someone can tell me something to the contrary. If I'm right, setting aside judgment really does nothing for you. If employers see it on a background check that's one strike in a competitive market you don't want.

Gotta love the state of Arizona...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">