• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse not lised as beneficiary of life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dgoorey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? This occured in Ohio.
My mom has lived with me since 2002 and her husband lived & worked in Columbus, Ohio & recently passed away from cancer. When he was told he only had 2 months to live last fall, he said that mom was his beneficiary on his life insurance and asked me for her social security number etc which I provided. Today I learned that she was not listed as his beneficiary, he hadn't listed anyone so before he died he listed a co-worker who was good to him and helped him during the last days of his life in the nursing home. I just spoke to this lady and she said she knew she was the beneficiary of his life insurance and death benefit, that Mark had her put her information on the form. He was in the nursing home for about 6 months and was on very strong pain medicine while undergoing chemo & radiation. My question is can my mom contest his insurance beneficiary since she is legally married to him and there was no will? We are talking about a $15,000 life insurance policy. I even sent this lady money ($500) to help with his funeral expenses not knowing he also had a death benefit ($1600) that was paid to the same woman.
Your advice is most needed as my mom is 86 and has Alzheimers and needs constant care and I've run out of money for help for her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">