• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RN Wrongfully Accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adinleb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi,

My sister is a nurse and she has been accused of using and/or dealing drugs because of some missing narcotics at work. She has taken a drug test independently and is clean and is not dealing drugs. They are singling her out and throwing every small charting error she has made in attempt to terminate her. They also told her they are planning to hand over everything to the DEA and pharmacy board. Thus far, she has only been suspended, but they want her to go in for a meeting tomorrow i which she was told that they would go through everything line bye line and start the formal procedure to terminate her. I know she needs an attorney, but what specialty? Also, is it advisable for her to go to this meeting tomorrow without representation?

Thank YouWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Beth3

She doesn't have a choice. Her employer will undoubtedly refuse to allow her to bring a third party to the meeting; she has no legal right to bring an attorney or any other individual with her unless she belongs to a union.

Even if she is terminated on suspicion of stealing drugs, that is not unlawful although she may wish to consult with an attorney.

eerelations

She should document everything that's said to her in the meeting, and if she's fired, she should speak to an attorney that specializes in employment law.

While I normally would agree that a termination based on a suspicion of wrongdoing is perfectly legal, in your sister's case it's a bit different in that she might lose her nursing license over this. And if she does, or if post-termination, it looks like she might, then she will need an attorney (i.e., for the loss of the license, not the termination leading to said license loss).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">