• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to work a shift not originally scheduled for

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Confused1234

California

Hello,

I work for an Ambulance company as an EMT/Driver. Our schedule is online and we work either SMT or WRF (both with alternate Saturdays) at variying times.

I recently returned to work after a leave of absence (school) and have been working the WRF schedule. Just yesterday evening (Tuesday) I was added to the schedule for Sunday - which was already posted. I emailed the woman in charge and probably being overly nice, indicated that I could not work the shift as it was short notice and I had arranged to be out of town.

She replied, "NO" it is requried that I work both weekends and overtime and I signed papers agreeing to this (never given copies, I know that was my fault). If I did not work the shift or get it covered, that would be my voluntary resignation.

My question, can they force me to work this shift if the schedule was already posted and I wasn't on it.

More info - I couldn't put in for a request for this day off because we don't have any policy that would allow for vacation/personal/etc requests in advance.

Thanks for your help in advance

Antigone*

California

Hello,

I work for an Ambulance company as an EMT/Driver. Our schedule is online and we work either SMT or WRF (both with alternate Saturdays) at variying times.

I recently returned to work after a leave of absence (school) and have been working the WRF schedule. Just yesterday evening (Tuesday) I was added to the schedule for Sunday - which was already posted. I emailed the woman in charge and probably being overly nice, indicated that I could not work the shift as it was short notice and I had arranged to be out of town.

She replied, "NO" it is requried that I work both weekends and overtime and I signed papers agreeing to this (never given copies, I know that was my fault). If I did not work the shift or get it covered, that would be my voluntary resignation.

My question, can they force me to work this shift if the schedule was already posted and I wasn't on it.

More info - I couldn't put in for a request for this day off because we don't have any policy that would allow for vacation/personal/etc requests in advance.

Thanks for your help in advance
They can't FORCE you to do anything ~ as far as I know slavery has been outlawed.

They can however find that you have no longer fit in with the organization's needs and direction. Get my drift?:cool:

Betty

Yes, you can be required to work that shift (nothing illegal there). You work whatever hrs./shift your employer requires/needs you to. (or suffer the consequences so to speak)

This assumes you have no binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">