• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obligated to pay for work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

btlsfanatl

Georgia

I had a 30 foot tree fall in my back yard, and I discovered the root system of the fallen tree was rotten along with 2 other trees it was next to. So I decided to get estimates to remove the remaining 2 standing trees, and the pile of debris left from the fallen tree. I got a couple estimates, and a rep from another company came out (while I was home) to give me another estimate. I spoke with him briefly, but his English was very broken. His bid was by far the lowest so I asked him to email me a written quote along with a certificate of insurance. He sent me the estimate (2 days later than he said he would), and I followed up (via email) to make sure he understood the nature of the project (cut down 2 trees, remove debris, etc.). At no point did I agree to the work nor did I return the estimate which included a customer signature/authorization line. A couple days passed, and when I got home for lunch this landscaper was already there taking down the trees. The piles of debris were already removed so I wasn't sure what to do. I told him I was still getting estimates, but he thought I agreed to start the work. The orignal quote he gave me was $600 so I asked if he could bump it down to $500 since I never agreed to do the work. At that point I wasn't sure what to do since most of the work was already done. He agreed to $500 so I gave him my credit card info and left. My question is......Am I obligated to pay for this service? I never authorized the work and never signed anything, but I did agree to $500 once I came home and realized the work was already almost done.

justalayman

He agreed to $500 so I gave him my credit card info and left.
.Am I obligated to pay for this service?
Do you really need to ask? You saw him doing work and rather than saying "WHOA, I never said do it", you negotiated a new price and tendered payment.

I never authorized the work
actually you did once you negotiated the price and paid him.

what is your real argument? You said you were going to have the work done by somebody. This guy was the cheapest and even then you beat him down on the price. Why argue the situation now?

justalayman

I get the impression that the OP is hoping further to exploit the fact that English is not the landscaper's primary language. :mad:
it is obviously something as OP obviously contracted to have the work done yet wants to now rescind payment. Simply appears as they want something for nothing.

Depending on the wording of your reply e-mail, you very well may have legally sealed the deal. If you didn't then, then you certainly did by allowing him to continue the work, negotiating a price, and then PAYING HIM. Why on earth do you think you should get something for nothing? You got work done that has value, probably more than you paid, and now want to exploit his lack of good English skills. Shame on you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">