• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Undeliverable Merchandise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srla549

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana.

I purchased a computer based dvr security system from a local retailer on Feb. 26, 2010 that had a bad video capture board. The company replaced the computer with a new one and I sent the bad one back (3/17/10) with the prepaid label and box provided by them. Then about three weeks later (4/8/10) FedEx returned the package to me with a note stating that the item was undeliverable. According to the tracking info on FedEx.com they made 3 attempts to deliver and tried to contact the company to get more info on where/how to deliver, but had no luck. I too tried to contact the company via e-mail, and the 3 phone numbers provided in their warranty papers, but the numbers are no longer in service and I got no response from the e-mail. I assume that they are no longer in business. Their web site is still accessible but they do not responded to attempts to contact them.

My question is what do I do with the bad computer/security system? Do I have to hold on to it for in case they contact me at a later date and want it back? Will they be able to come back in the future and charge me for not returning their product as per the warranty agreement? What are my options and time frames.
I live in Louisiana and the company is based out of NJ.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

I would start with documenting your attempts to return the item. Then, I would speak with the local retailer to see if they have any way to obtain information about the manufacturer.

If they have nothing for you, I would definitely hang onto the bad part for awhile. How long? Well, it is quite small so simply setting it someplace and leaving it there doesn't seem like it would be much of a problem. Better to have it if something does come up than saying "whoops! I just tossed that out!"

Was there any address on the item you were sent? Does it match up with the address you sent the old board to?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">