• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son Ordered BZP Pills From Canadian Website :O

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tackyjan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I just found out that my son, who is 19 years old, ordered some pills from a Canadian website, Purepillz .
He lives with me and the shipping address he used was my home of course. :eek:

These pills are supposed to have a similar effect to ecstasy but somewhat milder. They contain both TFMPP and BZP (Benzylpiperazine).
TFMPP is not currently a controlled substance in the US however I heard that some states have banned TFMPP and made it a felony to
possess. BZP on the other hand is a Schedule 1 controlled substance.

These pills are perfectly legal in Canada and require no prescription. They can be purchased at your every day corner drugstore.

My question is, he ordered a total of 39 pills. If customs discovers these will he be in serious trouble? Isn't there a law that allows a person to
bring a "reasonable" amount of medication into the US from a foreign country? (I might have just answered my own question, as these pills
are not medication but rather for recreational use!)

Thank you!!

Jan :confused:

P.S. I have tried to cancel the order but the company said the package has already been shipped. Also, I have severely reprimanded my son.
This is his first offense but I want to nip this in the bud the sooner the better. He will lose XBox 360, car privileges and I am forcing him to
go to several NA meeting so he can see first hand what drug addiction can do to people's lives.

Last edited:

justalayman

If customs discovers these will he be in serious trouble?
I would suspect so

Isn't there a law that allows a person to bring a "reasonable" amount of medication into the US from a foreign country?
If you have a prescription for it. Does he have a script for the schedule I portion of the drug? I bet not since it is not considered to have any medicinal use per the US standards yet it is a schedule drug. In other words, doctors don't write scrips for the BZP.

It doesn't matter if it is legal in another country or not unless you are in that country. What matters is how it is viewed here in this country. You must follow the laws of this country when you possess a drug in this country.

tackyjan

I would suspect so

If you have a prescription for it. Does he have a script for the schedule I portion of the drug? I bet not since it is not considered to have any medicinal use per the US standards yet it is a schedule drug. In other words, doctors don't write scrips for the BZP.

It doesn't matter if it is legal in another country or not unless you are in that country. What matters is how it is viewed here in this country. You must follow the laws of this country when you possess a drug in this country.
Oh I see. So the legal status of the drug in the foreign country does not matter. What does matter is if
the substance is available as a prescription here in the States? In other words, if a doctor can prescribe it
here and he brings back a "reasonable" amount then it's legal. But BZP has no medicinal quality and
therefore not allowable under this rule.

So the next question I ask is, why would the FDA place a Schedule rating on a drug that is not even
prescribed? Do they do this for all drugs whether legal or illegal?

tackyjan

Now I am all paranoid.... :O

Since it's being mailed to my address and I own the property am I going to be responsible for them? Or is
the person to whom they are addressed held accountable?

Should I have him call customs, the police, etc. and tell them he didn't know they were illegal and he will
surrender them to someone as soon as they arrive?

:eek:

justalayman

=tackyjan;2592150]In other words, if a doctor can prescribe it
here and he brings back a "reasonable" amount then it's legal.
it would only be legal IF the person had a prescription for it.

But BZP has no medicinal quality and
therefore not allowable under this rule.
from what I read, BZP has no medicinal use so therefor, a doctor is not going to write a scrip for it so you or your son could not possibly have or obtain a scrip for it. Therefor, there is no legal way to possess BZP within the US.

So the next question I ask is, why would the FDA place a Schedule rating on a drug that is not even
prescribed?
just so they can classify it.

Do they do this for all drugs whether legal or illegal?
they do it for drugs they have ruled to be a controlled substance.

Since it's being mailed to my address and I own the property am I going to be responsible for them?
I'm presuming your son also lives there and the package will have his name on them., right?

Should I have him call customs, the police, etc. and tell them he didn't know they were illegal and he will
tough call on that. There is the possibility that they won't be discovered. It's not like they search every package that crosses the border. Hopefully CDWJava will post on this thread. He is a California cop and his direction would be much better than what I could offer.

If you can PM, you might PM him and ask him to take a look at this thread.

tackyjan

I'm presuming your son also lives there and the package will have his name on them., right?
Yes, my son lives with me and they will be addressed to him.

Hopefully CDWJava will post on this thread. He is a California cop and his direction would be much better than what I could offer.

If you can PM, you might PM him and ask him to take a look at this thread.
Thank you will do!

justalayman

A prescription written by a doctor in the US or by a doctor in the country it was obtained?
I believe (although not sure) a scrip written by the foreign doctor is acceptable but since it is not a prescription med in Canada, I don't see that happening.

Ketazi

How was the package shipped? If it's shipped in such a way that you have to be home in order to recieve it, like if you have to sign for it, you can refuse delivery of the package. I believe that most major shipping companies will let you refuse delivery and they'll send it back.

Remember that it is possible that a police officer dressed like an employee of the shipping company would come to deliver the package and arrest the person when it's recieved. In such a situation I believe that it would be best to refuse to accept the package. Tell your son to do the same.

Obviously, in real life, they are going simply going to deliver you a package without incident. Refusing it might not be such a bad idea as a way to keep it out your house, unless you want to accept it and dump it in the toilet or whatever. But there arent any cops running around chasing down UPS guys willy nilly on a hunch a package from canada has a few pills in it... nor is there going to be big lettering on the box "CONTAINS ILLEGAL DRUGS" with which to clue them in. Likely a bigger issue is all the drugs your kid is already bringing through your house or driving around in your car that he buys from next door.

Good god no. Jeez. The police are not his friend. I'd save turning the state of CA into a parent for a last resort. They are not very good at it.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

It's not a willy nilly hunch, actually. The most likely place it will be detected is at the point of entry. They know which are the Canadian "pharmacies" much the same as they know where the tobacco suppliers sending in cuban cigars (typically marked as being from some other origin and with the identifying bands removed). You cigars frequently get tossed in transit (or I guess smoked), because there's no specifically no enforcement money for prosecuting those who do this. However, there is money allocated for drug interdiction. You're rolling the dice on whether anybody happens to be watching on any particular shipment.

The only way this case gets prosecuted is if she listens to the people scaring her to call the police... then the police will show up, undoubtedly ask for permission to search his room or something, which she will undoubtedly give, then they will find whatever else this kid is up to. Then they will take him away to jail on nice felony charges and thats that.

If thats what she wants to do, thats up to her. I would think she might try to keep it in the family until such time as she needs her kid arrested.

It is my opinion the doomsday scenarios, while possible in the Alice and Wonderland sense, are not in any way likely and she should handle it as a family matter.

Last edited:

GinAA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I just found out that my son, who is 19 years old, ordered some pills from a Canadian website, Purepillz .
He lives with me and the shipping address he used was my home of course. :eek:

P.S. I have tried to cancel the order but the company said the package has already been shipped. Also, I have severely reprimanded my son.
This is his first offense but I want to nip this in the bud the sooner the better. He will lose XBox 360, car privileges and I am forcing him to
go to several NA meeting so he can see first hand what drug addiction can do to people's lives
He is 19. Even though he used her address, being that he is an adult and the package would be adressed to him, wouldn't he be the one in trouble? I know as the owner of the property she would have some liability.

Personally, I would kick him out. He is 19, taking away his XBox probably isn't going to phase him much. If he ordered these pills online, then what kind of drug history does he have? And as an adult, you really can't "force" him to go anywhere. You can threaten to kick him out or whatever but in the end, you can't take him by the hand and make him go.

If the package is coming by UPS or FED EX, you can put a note on your door that states you refuse the package adressed to XXX from XXX. I have done that before without ever having to see it.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

He is 19. Even though he used her address, being that he is an adult and the package would be adressed to him, wouldn't he be the one in trouble? I know as the owner of the property she would have some liability.
She knows what's in the box, if she picks up the box when it is delivered, she now is knowingly in possession of illegal drugs. Possession is not a matter of ownership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">