• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leftover/Extra Medications?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tackyjan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I might as well ask another question while I am at it. :eek:

I see my psychiatrist every month for prescription maintenance. Each visit he prescribes (among other things) Xanax, 30 pills 1 each day
as needed. I don't always use a Xanax every day, some days I might just take 1/2 or none at all. At the time of the next visit I therefore
have some leftover. He gives me another prescription and the process repeats. Well, I have been seeing him now for like 9 months and
have saved up quite a few (perhaps 30 extras). When I fill the new prescription I put the leftovers in the bottle so for a while I actually
have more Xanax in the bottle than what the label says I should. If something happened and a police officer found my legitimate Xanax
bottle but it had too many in it would this be a problem? In other words does the quantity contained therein always have to be less than
what is imprinted on the label?

Thank you!!

Jan

Last edited:

CdwJava

Yes, a police officer might find it suspicious to have a bottle containing more Xanax than are prescribed for it. Would you be arrested or charged with a crime? Probably not.

tackyjan

Yes, a police officer might find it suspicious to have a bottle containing more Xanax than are prescribed for it. Would you be arrested or charged with a crime? Probably not.
Thank you for the advice!! I know what I will do then. I will keep the extras in the old bottle and keep the new ones in the new bottle. I will only carry around the new bottle since it will never contain more than the prescribed amount.

CdwJava

Thank you for the advice!! I know what I will do then. I will keep the extras in the old bottle and keep the new ones in the new bottle. I will only carry around the new bottle since it will never contain more than the prescribed amount.
Probably the wiser move. Plus, never take the meds before you drive just to avoid any potential DUI problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">