• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help Funeral Home is trying to take my Home!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

datherton2000

What is the name of your state (KY)

My Mom passed away in May of 2008. She resided with me all of my adult life and I was her sole caregiver despite the fact that I have three brothers. Just before my Mom died I was going through a very messy divorce. I purchased a home in November of 2007. My now ex-husband refused to sign a waiver at the close of my house. I put the actual deed to my home in my Mother's name, not expecting her to pass away so shortly. The loan officer and Realtor advised me to do this just as a precaution. The actual loan on the house is in my name. When my mother passed away my three brothers suddenly appeared only to team up to have my Mom taken back to the area where they live, to be buried. I was totally against this! My mother had always resided with me and I wanted her body put here, near me. I had initially signed papers at the funeral home as did my brothers. I told the funeral home director during a meeting with the family that if I did not have any say so about where my Mother's body was taken that I refused to pay any of the bill. He acknowledged me and then I walked out. Since the funeral home director has became very ill funeral home was sold to another party. The new funeral home director has now been awarded administer of my Mom's estate despite my wishes. And can only seem to find the paper that was signed by me releasing my brothers of all responsibility to pay on this debt. My Mother did not have any assets at all, other than the deed to my home being in her name. I am afraid that this funeral home director is going to try to sell my house for the unpaid debt. My question is can he do that and what can I do to prevent it. My home is all that I have I only put the deed in my mother's name to protect it during my divorce. I have made every single payment on my home, carried insurance and paid taxes all in my name alone. If anyone can help me out by suggesting what I can do next, I would really appreciate it. Like everyone else in the world money is very tight right now and I don't know what to do next. Thanks and God Bless... [email protected]What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">