• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kukana

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
I just found out a person has been telling my employer negative, bad things about her that I have never said. I think my employer believes this person and that I will probably lose my job because of this vicious verbal attack. I cannot prove I didn't say these things any more than the person attacking me can prove I did. If I am fired for this slander and defamation do I have any legal options?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Against your employer, no. They are allowed to believe the other person and take what action they feel appropriate, even if they are wrong.

Against the person making the comments, possibly. However, the burden of proof will be on you to show that they knew or should have known that you did not say what s/he claims you did; not that s/he misunderstood something you did say, mistook you for someone else, etc.

Kukana

So employees have no legal rights at all in any thing and some vicious person telling lies can cause a loyal employee to be terminated? Only in America!!

If I took legal action against this person why do I have to prove I didn't say the things (which you know is impossible) and why would't she have to prove I did say the things? What is wrong with the legal system in this country that allows people to do and say any thing they want that causes others harm or loss of income and they can get away with it? Freedom of speech is one thing but this is just down right criminal.

pattytx

Of course, employees have legal rights. The one you want just isn't one of them. And no, try another country, if you think this is a problem. :rolleyes:

As cbg already told you, you MAY have legal recourse against the person telling the lies. See an attorney. And the burden of proof is upon you because YOU are the person who is trying to get money. Which you can do in America.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">