• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid for skylites contractor never came back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

farmgal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My mother had a contractor come out to her house (someone she has used in the past) and she was going to have him install two new skylites in her sunroom. He ordered her the skylites with the flashing kits and took her check for 1,013.16. On the receipt he wrote that when the skylites came in work would commence.

This was a year ago in June! He called her up after delivering the skylites to her house (he put them in the garage) and he told her that he had 1 job ahead of hers and then he would come and do the job.

Well here we are 1 year and a bit more later with no sign or contact with the contractor. At this point my mom doesn't even want him to do the job.

Can we call him and tell him to come and get the skylites and give her a refund? They are still out in her garage in the boxes not even opened. Is she stuck with these things now? I would love to get her her money back as she is 75 years old and on a fixed income. I think it is disgusting what this guy has done to her.

Thanks for your advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

justalayman

you can most likely cancel the contract but you will probably be stuck with the skylights.

I would start with a demand letter terminating the contract demanding he remove the skylights and refunding the full amount paid. If he argues they were special order or some such thing, that is where you might get stuck with them but you should still be able to terminate the installation itself.

anything in writing?

and just a word of advice; while it appears he screwed over your mother, sometimes things happen. Make sure the guy is alive first and not had some horrible thing happen before being too angry. While most likely not the situation, you would surely feel the fool if this guys business burned to the ground or his family was kidnapped by pygmies from Borneo or some other extreme situation. Easier to keep your foot out of your mouth than it is to remove it once you get it stuck in there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">