• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto repair and Warranty not being honored

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

szymkw5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

In February 2010 I purchased a used SUV. By the beginning of March the motor needed to be replaced. I took it to a local repair shop that quoted me $2200. I paid the $1600 up front in cash and was told the vehicle would be done in under a week. Well a month later it was finally completed. Shortly there after it was back in the shop for what they claim was an oil leak in the rear main seal. About a week later it overheated which they claimed was because I was overdue on an oil change. (they said that the oil was too thin and caused the engine to work too hard causing the overheat. I have been told by other mechanics that is not true.) Was told that 3 sensors needed to be replaced after that (unrelated to overheat) I was able to purchase myself for far less money than they wanted to charge. Brought them the parts and they refused to install them claiming they were wrong. (only needed one and new mech installed the one I bought) Husband went to the shop at this point, was furious and probably did not behave appropriately. This resulted in them calling the police and having us be told never to set foot on their property again. I have since taken it to a new mechanic. Oil pan gasket needs to be replaced which is going to cost between $300 and $400. Was told by new guy that they either re-used the gasket or did not install it properly because it should not be bad this quickly. I called the original mechanic yesterday and they got nasty with me and said that they would pay for the part but I would have to have someone else install it. The part is $70, plus 4 hours or so of labor. On my receipt from the engine replacement I was charged for a new oil pan gasket. I was also told that upper and lower ball joints on both front wheels need to be done "very badly" New mechanic said that only the upper on the passenger side needs to be replaced. There are other things as well but I figured this was long enough already. I HAD a 24 month 12,000 mile warranty with original shop. They told police they will no longer perform any work on my truck. Is there any way I can recoup any of my repair costs? What about my warranty?
Thanks for reading, sorry it is so long
Phil

I love the part where the shop tells the police they are no longer going to honor the warranty. Unless you have violated the terms of the warranty contract, I don't see how they can just end the warranty. Good luck....this sounds like a mess.

aldaron

Ball joints and sensors have nothing to do with an engine warranty. In recommending both ball joints be replaced its like replacing both shocks you just dont replace one side, or tires its always recommended to at least replace a set not just one. With the bad rapport between you and the shop small claims is your only answer to deal with this. Have ALL your Ps and Qs lined up and you should prevail. It does seem that the shop was willing to work with you**************.I'd like to hear their side.

szymkw5

I know that the sensors and ball joints are nto part of the engine replacement. They were only mentioned because they both had to do with one garage telling me they were needed and the other telling me they were not. The original shop told me that 3 sensors were needed AND that the one I had purchased was the wrong one. Neither statement was true as the second garage installed the exact sensor that was supposedly wrong and the other 2 were not needed nor were they bad. As for the ball joints, I asked if both sides need to be done as a pair and was told no. As a matter of fact the mechanic brought up shocks when he said "no the ball joints are not like shocks. Shocks you need to do both, ball joints you do not"

It does seem that the shop was willing to work with you**************.I'd like to hear their side.

I am a little confused here, how exactly is it that you say the shop was willing to work with me?

No, it is not common to replace both pssanger and drivers side ball joints at the same time, unless both are bad. Like having a left and a right set of windows in your house. A rock is thrown through the left. You then only have to replace the left window.

As for the rest: have a qualified mechanic do the repairs, and bring the paper work and reciepts to court. The Judge may verywell understand why your husband was mad. I would have been. You seem to have been ripped off.

szymkw5

I am going to look for an attorney for this matter but need to know what specialty this disaster would fall under.
Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, it is not common to replace both pssanger and drivers side ball joints at the same time, unless both are bad. Like having a left and a right set of windows in your house. A rock is thrown through the left. You then only have to replace the left window.
I disagree. It is logical and safe to replace both at the same time. Sure, you don't HAVE to, but it IS common. Both have the same amount of wear on them...if one has worn out, the other is not far behind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">