• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

making a business legal + suing in small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

batista_123

Hello
First time here. For the past 3 months, I have been running a business out of my home. I have been ignoring all the legal sides of it. I did not file for fictitious business name, I have no tax ID, I have no tax certificate, business license, nothing. The reason that I ignored it is largely because I tried to take care of the legal sides of it but I found the process too time-consuming and I was just focusing on making the business work so I just didnt do it.

Well, now I have run into a problematic customer who will not pay for my services. I want to sue in small claims court in California, but I am afraid that this will backfire and the judge will start asking about my business and why my business is not legal yet, and then I will be guilty of a crime.

So my questions are:
1. How do I make my business legal? Ficticious business name, tax certificate from the city where business is being conducted, what else? do i need a general business license? Do I need anything from the state of CA?
2. Can I sue the customer without getting in trouble?

Last edited:

swalsh411

Why do you believe you should get to enjoy the benefits of the legal system while so flagrantly violating the law?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">