• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-paid work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usersname

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I was forced by eviction to walk away from a job at around April 15 in Clarksville, MD. Maryland has At-will employment, so I was fired. I called them starting May 15 and every so often since then.

It's now July 5 and they have yet to send me my final paycheck. I understand that they should have paid me a long time ago.
But I'm 100 miles away in Cumberland, MD a month ago they told me they would send it. However a week later without any notice (I called them) they claimed they needed their uniforms back, I told them to deduct it from my pay and they said it was fine.
On June 25 my uncle called and the wife of the business said they had sent it out that day, with the excuse being my uniforms.

On July 2 he called back and spoke to the husband, he apologized for her and said he sent it July 1. I don't know who to believe now.

But being 3 months ago I'm not sure of the hours exactly, so I don't know what the department of Labor can do. The mail was off today so if not tomorrow, can I do something about this?

The business is Kloby's barbecue restaurant and catering

pattytx

It doesn't make any difference who it is.

File the unpaid wage claim with the state dept. of labor. Use your best estimate as to hours. You've already waited too long. This is not an overnight solution, but you need to get the ball rolling immediately.

usersname

Thanks for the replies, sent everything out today.
Now hopefully they'll get in gear and take some responsibility.

Of course if not, court is the next step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">