• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous employer will not provide last paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skyb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My last employer fired me through email and will not pay me my last paycheck. It has been 7 days since I was terminated. I tried to contact my previous employer to see what the hold up was and he responded with the following:

"I am investigating incidents regarding your employment with -----. The incidents are serious and numerous. Prosecution is a possibility in cases of slander, libel, fraud, and theft. In any event, the hours you worked and the days of work you missed are being verified. As you know, ----- does not offer vacation or sick leave benefits, So any days missed will not be paid. I expect to complete this matter in short order. This is likely a much bigger problem for you than you may realize."

Needless to say these accusations are completely bogus and I do not know what to do from here. The only reason given for firing me was that I would not meet him at a restaurant after work hours.

pattytx

Is he saying that your falsified you time sheets? Were you exempt or nonexempt? If you don't know, tell us what exactly your job duties were, and whether you were paid on an hourly or salaried basis.

In any case, any wages not in dispute are already late. You can force his hand by filing a wage complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission.
http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/lablaw/ll1.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">