• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a summary judgment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

josephshane45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Alabama,I have a lawsuit pending for wrongful termination,I have already went through all the depositions except one,it's the owner of the company's wife, she owns 49% of the company,my lawyer said he did not want to incur anymore expenses.
First he told me it was going to be a jury trail and all I needed was a witness, now I have a witness and he want even talk to him.
Now the company is wanting to settle for not even 10% of my lost wages and he said if I did not take it that they would ask for a summary judgment.
I asked my Lawyer what that was and he said that we had to go before the judge, and he would decide if I could have a jury trail or not.
He said more than likely he would dismiss the case,and that's what the company is betting on , and thats why they want to settle the case.
Is it true that the judge decides jury trail or not, or is he just jerking me around

pattytx

Took me about 10 seconds to find this with Google.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/s/summary-judgment/

Maybe I've been watching too much Law and Order, but a summary judgment is requested, normally by the defendant, after documents and evidence are presented, stating that the plaintiff (that would be you), even if all evidence were proven true, still would not have a case.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">