• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left Out of the Profits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tektrip

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AR

When my grandmother died, she did not have a legal will. She recorded a statement a few years before her death stating that if her children had to sell her home they should split the money equally and share with their children. Since that time my uncle, aunt and mother have all died. My remaining aunts recently decided to sell my grandmother's house. Do I have a legal claim to the portion that would have been given to my mother if she were still alive?

anteater

How long ago did grandmother pass away? Was anything done to probate grandmother's estate? Who legally owns the property right now? Not a guess. Go get a copy of the deed.

If grandmother had no valid will and her estate was not probated, your aunts are either going to have to lie their rear ends off or will have one helluva mess to clean up.

You, yourself, do not have a claim. But since your mother survived grandmother and then subsequently passed away, your mother's estate has a right to receive the proceeds of her ownership share. As do the estates of her deceased siblings.

I suggest that you confer with your cousins, the children of the deceased aunt and uncle, and together retain a probate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">