• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-9 forms verification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peachtea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

What are the requirements for verifying employee documents for the I-9 form? I just took over as an operations manager for a small hiring agency and we often payroll employees for major companies. With this said, we often find the candidate and schedule the interview with the hiring corporation. If the corporation likes the employee, we will put them on our payroll and they work as a temporary employee. Most companies that we work with are not local (san francisico to los angeles) and it is almost impossible for us to verify the I.D. I was told that we must be present to actually look at the ID and look at the person to verify the ID. How should I handle this sort of situation? We have previously accepted faxed copies of the I-9 and documents but I was told this was illegal.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

What are the requirements for verifying employee documents for the I-9 form? I just took over as an operations manager for a small hiring agency and we often payroll employees for major companies. With this said, we often find the candidate and schedule the interview with the hiring corporation. If the corporation likes the employee, we will put them on our payroll and they work as a temporary employee. Most companies that we work with are not local (san francisico to los angeles) and it is almost impossible for us to verify the I.D. I was told that we must be present to actually look at the ID and look at the person to verify the ID. How should I handle this sort of situation? We have previously accepted faxed copies of the I-9 and documents but I was told this was illegal.

I'm sorry, but you just became a manager for a HIRING agency and you need to ask this question on a message board?

:confused:

pattytx

There are services you can contract with; maybe a notary public in the local area? Network with your colleagues and find out what they do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">