• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paula

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paulajroot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hello: Long story made short. I left my former place of employment on my shift due to illness. Additional coverage was in place. I was told that I did not call my superior to inform them that I was leaving sick. Is this abandonment of job? Termination has occurred with that reason. Any input would be helpful. Thank you.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hello: Long story made short. I left my former place of employment on my shift due to illness. Additional coverage was in place. I was told that I did not call my superior to inform them that I was leaving sick. Is this abandonment of job? Termination has occurred with that reason. Any input would be helpful. Thank you.
Your employer can call it whatever they want; it was a perfectly legal termination.

paulajroot

The funny thing is is that I did call the Supervisor, who then called back two minutes later to see if I had left the premises yet (which I had not). Next day of work was a scheduled day off. Next day of work I was still not well and called in sick. Next day was a scheduled day off. I was then TAKEN OFF of the schedule for the following two days and was told to come into the site prior to my punching in for work on the next scheduled workday-at which time I was terminated and told "there is no more room for you here". So much for long story short.

paulajroot

The funny thing is is that I did call the Supervisor, who then called back two minutes later to see if I had left the premises yet (which I had not). Next day of work was a scheduled day off. Next day of work I was still not well and called in sick. Next day was a scheduled day off. I was then TAKEN OFF of the schedule for the following two days and was told to come into the site prior to my punching in for work on the next scheduled workday-at which time I was terminated and told "there is no more room for you here". So much for long story short.
Sorry to bother again - should I be waiting for a response?

swalsh411

Your termination was entirely legal. You should file for unemployment immediately. A single incident of leaving work early because one is sick and failing to follow the notification procedure is almost certainly not going to be considered misconduct. Now if you have a history of this, and have been warned/disciplined in the past, that’s a different story.

paulajroot

Thank you again-No history of any kind. The fact remains that I did notify my employer of my leaving and they are stating that I did not do this. There are phone records to substantiate this happening. So, I apparently have no recourse and should not pursue it any further?????

eerelations

For the third time, your termination was perfectly legal!!! There are no laws prohibiting employers from giving their dismissed employees misleading or incorrect reasons for their dismissals. Period.

Last edited:

swalsh411

Your recourse is to file for unemployment while you look for another job. What part of this is not entirely clear to you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">