• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arson: Lost Business Now What

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peterwofford

15-year business, second-floor tenant of restaurant, and no insurance.

Basically my question, is what can I do to get my business back up and running and do I have legal recourse with (1) insurance company (2) landlord and (3) accused arsonist?

The facts: A 19-year-old disgruntled employee (arrested) ignited the restaurant on fire. The result was complete demolition of property, including second floor business.

Can I charge my landlord with a suit?

Thank you
Pete
Scranton, PA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

What did your insurance company say? Why do you think the next step would be to sue them vs. filing a claim?

tranquility

While torching the place is unlikely to be part of the employee's job description, the question really becomes very factual. It is well worth your time to see an attorney who can advise.

FlyingRon

The only person you could think about suing is the arsonist, but he probably doesn't have anything to give you in a judgment.

The landlord is not responsible, the other business is not responsible.

This is why you have insurance. If you have it, file with them. They will subrogate if they think it will protect their interests.

tranquility

If the employer has any negligence in relation to the hiring of the employee or in the care and control of their establishment which would accelerate the fire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">